Friday, May 29, 2009

From Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup to a puree of local wild mushooms


Well, kind of FROM that scrumptiously canned, oddly gelatinous mushroom jelly to that also scrumptious delight of "now" - and the effort to eliminate processed foods in general.

But, although I would like to proudly say that my life has moved from the first to the second in a very evolved way, the dirty truth is that I would probably mix the fancy mushroom stuff with the "nasty" (hey-don't judge. we don't judge here. except for the shit that we judge...) stuff and do so with delight and enjoy every bite. (ooh - over mashed potatoes. no - chevre mashed potatoes, because even though I still can't pronounce that crap properly, it is amazing. dude - why am I even here typing instead of making that right now? )

So what does all of this fungal babble say about me? That I'm hella conflicted - conflicted as a mofo. I live in an age where I know, truly know with all sense of intellect, that most of the food joys of my childhood - from McDonald's all the way down to corn burritos at the Foster Freeze AND the soup and a whole bunch of other crap that I would love to eat every damned day - is FUCKED UP. Like really fucked up.

So fucked up that I had to have my gall bladder removed earlier this year. I mean, hell, you only even GET so many organs, so losing one is really not that cute.... meaning I'm constantly trying to walk a line between gluttony and something like veganism - which ends up making me want a bacon covered tofu dog or something, which is not helpful at all really.

So I guess this babble all collected will be my personal food manifesto - my foodiefesto - a gathering of lust for food past that I will sometimes consummate, lust for food present as I wander the glorified halls of my new fancy mega Whole Foods http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/chi-0520-whole-foodsmay20,0,7310357.story and lament for...I don't know, I bunch of shit - remember, I said I was conflicted. I currently lament that my child is dope-like hooked on Vitner's nuclearly hot crunchy "kurls"...

No comments:

Post a Comment